Friday, October 19, 2007

I am what I wear (unfortunately)

The contents of my closet is a fairly accurate metaphor for my life. There is a lot of old, not a lot of new, and so much more I desire.

I am not sure how I became the person who has a closet full of clothing but nothing to wear. In high school and college, I had much less, but I managed to pull something together and make it work (at least I think I did). Now, I spend hours in front of the mirror only to leave the house self-conscious and unhappy.

How does the person I'd like to be dress? For instance, take my current dilemma.

Exhibit A - The shoes I have been lusting after for the past two weeksExhibit B - The shoes I wear everyday
Exhibit C - The shoes I'm about to buyWhy is this a dilemma, you ask? Well, as you can see I'm stuck in a kind of purgatory. I own shoes I don't love but are really, really comfortable (B), I lust for shoes I cannot possibly buy at the moment (A), and I'm about to buy shoes that I absolutely abhor and that have NO redeeming qualities, i.e. comfort (exhibit C, for those of you that are blind).

It turns out, I never did life arithmetic. It never occurred to me that at 26 (rounding up, 27), I'd still be single, in school, and with not a cent to my name. I assumed, quite ignorantly, that I'd be a bit more autonomous, something like my own mom at my age or a jet-setting twenty-something. For the most part (I use the word "most" very lightly), I don't have any major issues with my life as it is right now. I just hope that I have a bit more evolving left to do. Until that time comes, it seems a bit foolish for me to buy the clothes and shoes of a twenty-something jet setter or of whomever I'm supposed to be. I am just not that woman (yet).

P.S. I think I have to get the orgasmic shoes. I might die without them.




5 comments:

Karinina said...

are those cloggy things REALLY all that comfortable? Everyone seems to love them, but they aren't squishy, are they?

Karinina said...

the fabulous shoes are rather ugly. Why does ugly sometimes become so hot?

Swathi said...

i've learned that the trick to fashion is buying things when they are "ugly" and being vindicated 6 months later when all the people who made fun of you buy the same thing. example - pointy shoes. remember when NO ONE bought pointy shoes and EVERYONE thought they were hideous??

Swathi said...

clogs are super comfortable. i have two pairs. i did a little experiment and wore sneakers instead one day and by the end of the day, my back killed and my feet were sore. the thing with clogs is that they are useless unless you are on your feet all day. which i usually am when i'm in the hospital. if you get to sit often, might as well wear the pretty shoes.

Karinina said...

haha, you are right. I totally remember when you bought pointy shoes, and I was sure they looked like silly little witch gear.

Oops.

I remember telling myself I would just follow your lead henceforth.